The Good News
A top rated exercise bike is affordable, convenient alternative to traditional gym memberships.A best exercise bike, more specifically a best recumbent exercise bike is a handy machine for getting a healthy cardiovascular workout while burning off that day’s McRib. Tone up those flabby bits you’d rather keep hidden, all from the privacy of your own bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom, or closet. Unlike conventional bicycles, stationary bikes work in all weather and at all hours.
With a stationary bike, safe in your home, you face no risk of meeting your demise by meeting the front end of a car driven to distraction by a distracted, texting driver. Quality models allow for increasing resistance settings as you gain strength. Stationary bikes are low impact and easy on the knees, making them excellent choices for joggers.
Top Rated Exercise Bike of 2017
Why an Exercise Bike?
With so many home gym options, why purchase an exercise bike to assist you on your journey to a healthier, happier you? Why not purchase:
- a treadmill? Well…you could. Fair warning, though: using a treadmill for jogging may keep you indoors and off busy streets, but it won’t lessen the impact on your knee joints. Sure, you can reduce the impact by walking on a treadmill, but then you will be burning fewer calories than you would on a low impact exercise bike. By walking on a treadmill, you could very easily be burning less, for more money.
- or a stair climber? While stair climbers do burn more calories than walking, they burn fewer calories than riding, and typically do not offer the same type of technological innovations and number of resistance settings of exercise bikes.
Stationary bikes offer a cardio-intensive, low-impact aerobic workout that can help you to reach your fitness goals, no matter your situation:
- Bodybuilders use them on “cardio” day
- Senior citizens use them to stay active
- Pregnant or recently pregnant women use them to keep down or shed baby weight
- Folks with knee injuries or chronic pain take advantage of the low impact workouts exercise bikes provide to stick with their cardio routine
- Even the disabled can find a model to help them maintain circulation and muscle tone in their legs
Finding the Best Exercise Bike for Home
The first step to finding the best exercise bike for home use is to check out our Exercise Bike Buying Guide where you’ll know everything about how to buy exercise bike.Beside that you can go through the below points for a clear guideline before buying an exercise bike for home use or for gym.
You might want to get to know the different types of workout bikes currently being offered:
- Upright Exercise Bikes look and feel like traditional bicycles, with elevated seats and handles parallel to the shoulders. The pedals are directly under your body. This type of home exercise bike most closely mirrors the experience of riding your bike outside, using the same muscle groups.
- Recumbent Exercise Bikes offer a reclined seating position, extra large seats, and pedals that are positioned out in front. If your childhood included riding around the neighborhood on Big Wheels, then the design will be pleasantly nostalgic. If you have back problems, the recumbent bike will help.You can give a quick look to our best recumbent exercise bike reviews here.
- Spinner Bikes are high-performance models targeted for fitness buffs serious about their cardio. The construction is very similar to Upright Bikes, mirroring traditional bike design. Spinner bikes have a wider footprint for added stability.
- Folding Bikes offer the best of both worlds. Not everyone has room in their house for a home gym. Folding bikes fold in order to minimize the storage space required. As far as construction goes, this can vary by brand, but many models are hybrids. Often, they seat sits up tall like an Upright, but the pedals are moved forward slightly.
Exercise Bike Brands
When you are going to buy a quality exercise bike, you must consider a reputed exercise bike brand.Only a leading brand in the market can offer you a good product along with a bunch of services like quality assurance, customer support, warranty, accessories support etc. We’ve put here some exercise bike reviews by top rated exercise bike brands of 2017, to give you some ideas about the manufacturer and their popular products which will help you finding the best exercise bike.
Typically speaking, recumbent bikes offer the most comfortable ride, due to their partially reclined design. Many people love upright bikes, though, and have used them for years without issue. However, the recumbent design typically comes with a backrest and is easier on the joints than an upright bike.
While any type of exercise bike helps you burn calories and fat, not all bikes are created equal. To help you shed pounds, find a bike that offers many resistance settings and is capable of being used as a spin bike. Look for a model with a wide footprint or added stabilizers.
Perhaps the most important feature of any exercise bike, adjustable resistance settings keep you from hitting the dreaded plateau. The trick is to start at a level that is difficult yet achievable and stick with that setting until it no longer feels difficult. At that point, ratchet up to the next level.
Exercise Bike Price
When purchasing a top rated exercise bike, know your budget. You’ll find in the market exercise bikes under $100 to over $2,000. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking your fitness goals demand a top-of-the-line model. This simply isn’t true. Pay attention to what you need to achieve, and what you have financially, then look for a model that satisfies both criteria.You can go through our ‘Compare Exercise Bikes’ model which will definitely help you to take a quick decision to buy exercise bike of best quality at best price.Cheap exercise bike to exclusive one which ever you want to buy just take the help of our comparison chart to make up your mind.
Exercise bikes can require a good bit of storage space. Often, the lack of space keeps would-be owners from owning. Don’t let space limitations stand in your way. Folding models tuck away quite nicely.
Typically, maintenance on an exercise bike should be minimal. Routine maintenance means:
- Cleaning—Wipe down the bike after each use to remove any sweat or body oil.
- Lubricating—Keep moving parts lubricated with a manufacturer’s recommended lubricant
- Inspecting—Check for abnormal wear or cracks; if you find any, consult your machine warranty and contact the manufacturer
While these machines are ready to ride after assembly, a few other popular accessories customers purchase to go along with their exercise bikes include:
Exercise bike reviews that seek to come up with a list of the best exercise bikes simply have to acknowledge a few groups out there that deserve special consideration. These groups have unique challenges that weigh on any decision they make. These groups are senior citizens, those suffering from knee pain or chronic pain, the handicapped or disabled, and those serious about losing weight for medical reasons.
Best Exercise Bike For Seniors
Recommended: Nautilus R614 Recumbent Bike -The Best Recumbent Exercise Bike For Elderly
Best Exercise Bike For Seniors
Staying active is key to maintaining ideal blood pressure and reducing cholesterol, so exercise bikes are, perhaps, more ideally suited for seniors than for any other group. Due to the relaxed posture created by their design to the best, recumbent exercise bikes are popular as the best exercise bike for senior citizens. The reclining position places minimal stress on the joints while still allowing for a vigorous workout. A more comfortable design is not the only criterion, however, as adjustable resistance levels need to be taken into consideration as well. High-tech features that capture the imagination of younger users might not be important to older users. Rather than looking for a machine with all the bells and whistles, look for a machine that has high marks in the user-friendly category.
Best Exercise Bike For Knee Problems
Recommended: Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
Those suffering from knee pain (looking at you current/former runners) or from other forms of chronic pain such as arthritis, will also want to choose a recumbent rather than an upright model. The reasoning here is the same as it was for seniors—the design allows for less stress on the joints and a more comfortable ride. Unlike for senior citizens, however, no “best” exercise bike has been selected. This is because there are several top quality recumbent bikes to be covered in this best exercise bike review—such as the Schwinn 230, the Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike, or the Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike—all of which could qualify. If you find yourself falling into this category, your humble exercise bike reviewers apologize for your wait and ask that you sit back and enjoy the ride.
Best Exercise Bike For Disabled
Recommended: The Z-40 Arm & Leg Machine
An exercise bike for the disabled may sound like an oxymoron, but it is not. Having lost much, if not all, of their leg function, the disabled need an easy and convenient way to build muscle and encourage circulation in the seldom-used portions of their bodies. The Z-40 does just that as the best exercise bike for the disabled. With motorized arms and foots splints designed to keep the foot on the pedal, this machine makes it possible to exercise while watching television, reading a book, or playing chess. The Z-40 is lightweight and compact (18″ x 16.5″ x 13.73″ and weighing just 21 pounds), and features a control panel and remote for ease of use. This machine can also be placed on a table top for arm workouts, and the motor can be turned off in order to provide greater resistance. This type of versatility is what makes the Z-40 Arm & Leg Machine the best exercise bike for the disabled.
Best Exercise Bike For Weight Loss
Recommended: An upright, Spin-capable bike
Sadly, the weight-loss crowd will have to get in a disgruntled line with the knee-problem people, because there are several models on this exercise bike review that could meet your needs. While any type of exercise bike will burn calories and assist in weight loss, the best exercise bike will be an upright model capable of being used as a spinning bike. This will mean clip-in pedal capability, lots of resistance settings, and a user profile set-up that will keep track of your fitness and weight loss goals. Later in this review we will look at some exercise bikes for weight loss like Marcy Upright Mag Bike, the BodyRider Fan Bike, the Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Cycle, and the Exerpeutic Folding Upright Bike with Pulse.
The Upright/Recumbent Dichotomy
All exercise bikes are created equal, right? Wrong. The biggest difference takes the form of the different designs inherent in Upright and Recumbent bikes.
- Upright Exercise Bikes: These models look and feel like traditional bicycles. Though the internal drive mechanism will vary according to the manufacturer, they each will have a seat positioned directly above counterbalanced pedals, with handlebars out front. Models with leg stabilizers and clip-in pedals are ideal for spinning, and the top of the line models will feature a whole bunch of different resistance settings.
- Recumbent Exercise Bikes: If, as a kid, you remember taking a spin around your neighborhood on your Big Wheel, then these models provide a heavy glow of nostalgia alongside the increased comfort they offer. On recumbent models, the pedals are in front and the seat is in back—kind of like a “Chopper,” only the handlebars parallel to the seat. As stated earlier, and covered more thoroughly in our Exercise Bike Buying Guide, recumbent bikes are known for offering a quality workout with reduced joint stress and increased comfort.
The Players (Top 10 Best Exercise Bikes For Home)
In addition, to the bikes already mentioned, we will be reviewing ten others so that you can make a more informed decision should you decide to put an exercise bike in your cart. Here, we will look at folding bikes, recumbent bikes, upright bikes, and even a few multi-tasking desk exercise models that allow you to catch up on emails or do some budgeting spreadsheets while exercising. These exercise bikes make for some of the most popular models on the market, and at least, one stands a better-than-average chance of being the best exercise bike for you.
- This model is equipped with eight levels of magnetic resistance, loads of torque
Best Recumbent Exercise Bike
, and a V-belt driven flywheel so that you won’t have to worry about noise or stagnation. Wide leg stabilizers reduce the possibility of a tip over, and the unique construction of this model makes neither a true recumbent bike, or a true upright bike, but more like something in between.
- It also has a large LCD computer that keeps up with total calories burned, heart rate, time elapsed, distance and speed. The foldable design makes this model easy to store for the specially challenged. All in all, this is a supremely functional and convenient machine that would prove to be a tremendous addition to any workout routine. To know more about the Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike & why it is the best recumbent exercise bike, just check out our complete product review by clicking the image.
- This model just may be the best exercise bike for multi-taskers. With an upright design, the FitDesk sports an eight position magnetic resistance mechanism that is paired with a completely aluminum and steel gearbox, and twin v-belt driven flywheel on precision sealed bearings. This model has a wide, beach cruising seat
Best Exercise Bikes For Home
with backrest and, perhaps its most unique feature, a built-in desk that can easily accommodate large laptops. A safety strap is included in order to secure your desk to the tabletop while you work out, and adjustable armrests complete with massage rollers help reduce hand fatigue. As an added bonus, the desktop even sports a desk drawer that can house a plethora of small items.
- While this desk exercise bike was not engineered for those looking for really intense workouts, the built-in distraction offered by the desk means that you will likely use this exercise bike for longer periods and burn more calories thanks to the power of distraction. Bargain-priced and bearing many of the accessories you would expect in an exercise bike in this price range, the FitDesk v2.0 Exercise Bike with Massage Bar is the perfect desk exercise bike for those constantly pressed for time. If this model intrigues you and you would like to learn more, you can also view our brand-wise product review.
- Affectionately known as the SF-3901, the Sunny Health & Fitness Pro-Indoor Cycling Bike features a precision-balanced 40-pound flywheel and adjustable levels of resistance so that any fitness level can ride. Tradition
Best Flywheel Bike
al cyclists may want to take a closer look here, because the chain drive mechanism featured by
the SF-3901 makes this stationary bike feel like a traditional, on the road bike and makes for a smooth quiet ride.
- This is one of the larger models offered by the manufacturer, and its heavy duty steel frame can support riders up to 275 pounds. This is also one of the favorite models of the technological adverse since this model lacks the complicated display screen and multiple user profiles that typically aggravate the “Sit & Spin” type. If the Sunny Health & Fitness Pro-Indoor Cycling Bike seems like it just might be the one for you, check out the in-depth review here.
- If you want a reasonably priced exercise bike with all the bells and whistles, then the Exerpeutic 900 XL just might be the bike for you.
Best Folding Exercise Bike
Whereas the previous model was Low-Tech friendly, this model is likely to impress the tech conscious crowd. With a large LCD monitor that keeps track of calories burned, the rate of speed, elapsed time, and distance traveled while hand pulse monitors are constantly reporting your heart rate in order to keep you in the ideal calorie-burning zone.
- An extra large seat, backrest, and wide pedals add to the comfort of an already comfortable design. If you remember from earlier, recumbent bikes are ideal for seniors and those suffering from chronic pain and the Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike with Pulse only adds to the advantages inherent in the design.
- But it isn’t all about comfort as the v-belt drive, precision balanced flywheel, and eight level adjustable magnetic resistance that keeps the fat melting off you. If you are a senior, suffer from knee pain, or just want to the comfort and quality offered by the Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike with Pulse, check out the full review here.
- One of the unique designs covered in this exercise bike review, the DeskCycle is small enough to fit underneath your existing desk and quiet enough that you won’t disturb your coworkers as you burn off the donuts that Bart in accounting brought in while catching up on that morning’s emails. This model is not only quiet, it also packs a lot of the features present in larger models into its tiny frame.
Best Small Exercise Bike
- Among all the best exercise bikes for home & gym, the DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike Pedal Exerciser offers eight magnetic resistance settings and an LCD display that tracks your vitals. While a thirty-minute session on the DeskCycle won’t burn the same amount of calories that thirty minutes of Spin class will, the beauty of this model is that it allows you workout while you work. It also takes advantage of the fact that your mind is occupied by work.
- Since you aren’t focused solely on the pedaling motion, you won’t become bored as easily, so the DeskCycle rather sneakily extends your workout as the best desk exercise equipment. Another bonus of this model is that it eliminates the need to rush out the door in order to beat the after-work gym rush since you’ve already been working out all day. So if you find yourself fitting rather nicely into the multi-tasking, workaholic crowd, check out the full review of the DeskCycle Desk Exercise Bike Pedal Exerciser here.
- The Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Cycle Trainer is a more compact, budget-friendly version of the “Pro” model mentioned earlier. Like its larger cousin, this
Best Indoor Cycle
incarnation features the real feel of a traditional bike by having a chain driven mechanism and heavy duty cranking system pull the 22-pound flywheel. It also allows the user to adjust the resistance settings via a frame mounted knob and is lightweight enough to be easily moved from one room to another. Assembly is so simple it takes less than an hour to complete, and the ease of use helps to ensure that you actually meet your fitness goals. If you favor simplicity and functionality, check out the complete review of the Sunny Health & Fitness Indoor Cycle Trainer here, and start taking control of your life again.
- The Schwinn 230 is another best recumbent exercise bike that could fit the needs of anyone, including seniors and those suffering from chronic pain. Featuring a dual track, LCD window capable of goal tracking and data export, this model also supplies 22 workout programs, 20 resistance levels, 13 unique display vitals,
Best Value Recumbent Bike
nine-course profiles and two user settings. In addition to being equipped with a backrest, the ergonomically designed seat is also vented and curved around the legs. A three-speed, pedal-controlled fan helps cool you while you ride. The faster you pedal, the more air you move.
- Equipped with a high-speed, high-inertial, perimeter-weighted flywheel, the Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike manages to be astonishingly quiet, while still providing multiple training levels that work to prevent the dreaded plateau. This works alongside the pre-programmed course profiles to help keep your workouts challenging and stimulating.
- The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike comes loaded with enough amenities to please even the most ardent supporter of the tech revolution while also providing engaging challenges guaranteed to keep a pleasurable grin on the faces of the dedicated cyclist. Long a trusted name in bicycles, Schwinn brings their experience to the exercise bike game with impressive results. If you are interested, and would like to see a more detailed review of the Schwinn 230 click the image and think about adding one to your cart.
- The Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse is one of the best-selling exercise bikes on the market. Its collapsible design allows for easy storage, and its solid construction allows it to double as a “Spin” bike. It is also startlingly quiet and comfortable. Equipped with a handle mounted hand pulse monitors,
Top Rated Exercise Bike
a large LCD monitor, and an eight stage magnetic tensioning control system, this bike brings heavy value to the price ratio. Constructed of welded steel tubing, the Exerpeutic can support 300 pounds and provides security through leg stabilizers that prohibit side-to-side movement while exercising.
- For added comfort, the bike also comes equipped with an extra wide seat. Large pedals with safety straps reduce the frequency of foot slippage, and the tensioning system is can easily transition from pleasant ride to excruciating Tour de France. A bit of a hybrid, the Exerpeutic combines the elevated seat of an upright with the pedal forward design of a recumbent, giving the machine a unique feel.
- For its part, the Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse maintains a 4.5-star customer satisfaction rating. It’s competitive pricing, collapsible design, and ability to meet the needs of beginners and advanced fitness enthusiasts alike. Read our detailed review of this bike that includes product dimensions and warranty information.
Stationary bikes have been around for nearly as long as conventional bicycles. Our species, after all, favors the cave walls far more than we do wide open spaces. Once we figure out that we can do something inside that we could formerly only do outside, we’re half sold already. And why not? Thanks to technology, we have some control over the temperature and the weather inside our homes, and it’s safer. That same technology that makes it more comfortable for us to ride our bikes indoors has also made the bikes we ride indoors more comfortable as well as more capable. The best exercise bikes on the market are going to come with:
- Multiple Resistance Settings
- Comfortable, Adjustable Seats
- User-Friendly LCD Monitors
- Multiple Profiles
- Heart Rate Monitors
- Some Type of Warranty
- Silky Smooth Operation
Some of these features may impress you. Others may not. This is perfectly acceptable. If, however, you are thinking about purchasing an exercise bike that is priced as a top-of-the-line model, and it does not come packing each of these features, then you may want to move on to something else.
The Final Verdict
In this exercise bike review, there are no winners and losers. Each of the models featured here could potentially be the best ideal exercise bike for you. What your humble reviewers have attempted to do here is provide you with several exercise bike reviews including best recumbent exercise bike reviews which will enable you to pick the best exercise bike for your unique needs. We hope this overview has given you enough information to help you pick your ideal exercise bike among our various types of exercise bike reviews including recumbent exercise bike reviews. Remember, the key to finding the perfect exercise bike for you is not in knowing everything about a particular model, but rather in knowing everything about yourself.
If you would like a little more information, click here to view our best exercise bike buying guide. If you are already determined to buy best exercise bikes for home use & gym or the model you want, simply click on the link underneath that model to put one in your cart now.